Broad Agency Announcements (BAAs) are solicitation methods for Research and Development (R&D) efforts based on synopses that provide for full and open competition in accordance with Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) 6.102(d)(2). BAAs are established in FAR 35.016 and are authorized for the acquisition of basic and applied research and that part of development not related to the development of a specific system or hardware procurement. The objective of a BAA is to encourage participation by science and technology firms and educational institutions in meeting goals for innovative ideas and approaches for research.
CRITERIA FOR USE
Use of a BAA to solicit for research and development is encouraged when:
- The Government desires new and creative solutions to problem statements.
- Using a conventional statement of work could result in unintentionally stifling ideas and concepts given many possible approaches.
- Fulfilling requirements for scientific study and experimentation directed toward advancing the state-of-the-art or increasing knowledge or understanding rather than focusing on a specific system or hardware solution.
- The Government must be able to state its objectives in terms of areas of need or interest rather than specific solutions or outcomes.
- Meaningful proposals with varying technical/scientific approaches are reasonably anticipated.
If you would like more information on this topic, please contact Joseph Marshall in the Division of Acquisition Policy and Evaluation (DAPE).
- 87414 views